Friday, February 11, 2011

You Are My Sunshine!

If you read my blog since early days, you know I am a crafter wannabe hehehe. By end of the day, I don't really think I am a crafter, I am a craft shopper actually! I keep on buying fabrics and craft stuff especially FELT and now I am getting sick of it. I-HAVE-TO-MAKE-SOMETHING. They hairclip is another story..itu pun terhegeh-hegeh nak buat hehe.

Anyway this is my first time sewing something (buttons doesn't count :D) and it's a sunshine plushie! I planned to make this for Zahra when she was 6 months old and but only execute it when she's ONE! Haha!

SUNSHINE!

I saw this idea from one of my favourite crafters, Cheezebeeperbebe and it was love at first sight. One because it's too cute to miss, and second because it's easy and possible for an amateur like me.

You can find a complete download-able tutorial and free pattern in PDF file from her site. Go check it out.

It's not really easy though, when I consider time for me to commit. I had to compile the material one night, then keep in a drawer like for a month, then cut it, keep it back, found another suitable time, sew it. And another obstacle is I don't have a sewing machine to stitch the whole round, so I just sew it by hand and it took me a freaking 2 HOURS ok!

Woww. Haha..


The first time, I just lay the layout, pick ribbons that I want to use. Then I keep it in the drawer to continue later, because Zahra busy picking the ribbons and throw it away and cry when I ignore her, trying to focus with my project. If you see closely, there are more ribbons in the 'plan' stage than the result stage, because I am lazy to sew all the ribbons :P


I didn't use the provided pattern because my felt cut is not big enough, so I just a round shape as big as I can from the felt. I stitch the smile and eyes, and clip the ribbon at their place, stitch around like machine-stitch so that it holds, leave and opening, turn the inside out, stuff with filler/fiber and ladder stitch (it's a hidden stitch and you can barely see it. I use star brads for the cheeks. Oh ya, notice that I keep on continuing stitching the smile and eyes together because I am lazy to stitch it asing-asing and guess what, I shows ok! Because the felt is in bright yellow and the embroidery thread is in dark chocolate. If you are fussy, feel free to stitch it one by one. Another tips, I use chopstick to smooth out the roundness of the sunshine after it is being turned.


Story behind this polyfill. I bought this ONE KILO fiber before Zahra pop-out ok! Blame it on pregnancy hormone. Oh one kilo, what am I going to do about it. Haha


This is my first time doing this hidden stitch and I find it hard to the max because I don't know how to keep the polyfill from popping out. I managed to do it excellently for few cm *ahem ahem*, you can see it on the blue circle, doesn't show anything right? And so neat! But I lost the mojo after attaching the last ribbon and the stitch went hay-wire! You can see the white thread here and there, so messy that it doesn't even resemblance whatever stitch exist. Ah well..there's always a first time :)


Finished product. I add a big bell behind the sunshine so it rings with moves. It's a two tone yellow because I don't have matching pair of felt :P



Below is a few pictures of Zahra with her sunshine.

First time, intrigued by the hanging bell, then fascinated by the star brad. She busy picking it out and I had to glue it because it almost comes out.


Shakes it boom boom!


In the car. When she's in the mood of chewing the ribbon ;)

This is definitely not her most favourite toys because she gets bored easily with the same toys these days. And at this age, they prefer to wander around, open the cupboard, playing with the water, instead of stay put with a toy. But it's a nice change for her, something simple and different and the most important, made with love by mommy.

I personally think this plushie suits infants below 1yo. Because that's the time when they are teething, so they will be happy holding something soft and chewing the different shapes and colors of ribbons.

This plushie also reminds me of my favourite song when I was in primary school, You Are My Sunshine. There are a few versions of it but this is the one that I learned in school.




You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are gray
You'll never know dear
How much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

(Chorus)

So let the sun shine in
Face it with a grin
Smilers never loose
And Frowners never win
So let the sun shine in
Face it with a grin
Open up your heart and let the sun shine in

My mommy told me something
That little girls should know
It's all about the devil
And I've learned to hate him so
I know he'll be unhappy
â'Cause I'll never wear a frown
Maybe if we keep on smiling
He'll get tired of hangin' round




Have a good sunshiny weekend everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Aan : where did you buy the filler fiber? Me pon berangan nak menjahit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aan...hari2 dtg tgk blog,xpernah tgl jejak kot... :)
    tetibe rasa nk beli sunshine 1 from u..hahahah...ade jual ke? =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ilot,
    I beli kat Craftworl (Yee Button House)- Ni alamat dia: 33, Jalan SS2/55, 47300 PJ.

    Hari tu ada nampak Daiso pun jual, tapi sikit2 :D

    Ummi,
    hehe tak jual la..baru try2..comot je buat pun. Kalau cantik pun tak leh jual sebab takde masa nak buat :P

    ReplyDelete